Two fellows stood at the back of what is our 9th. green on a summers day in 1958 overlooking the meadow which we now know as the 18th fairway. One turned to the other and commented
”that is a nice sleepy little hollow.” Their golf club had a name, Sleepy Hollow, designed by Ontario Golf Hall of Fame member James Johnstone Sr. opened for play in the spring of 1960.
The course we enjoy today still reflects the peaceful and park like setting from the original layout, however there have been extensive renovations and improvements over the years. Club member Joe Zambri with a wonderful 67 holds the gentlemen’s competitive course record. Debbie Macdonald holds the ladies competitive course record of even par 72.
During our five decades some of the greatest name of Canadian golf have walked these fairways. Ada McKenzie competed and won here, the legendary Moe Norman was the club touring professional during the 1970’s and the impressive list includes no fewer than 11 other members of the Canadian or Ontario Golf Hall of Fame.
The club continues to flourish today for two distinct reasons. Firstly, the tremendous support of our club members and the hundreds of volunteers that have served as Club Captains, or participated on committees. They have left a legacy of club events and social functions and in doing so have helped preserve the legacy of this great game. Secondly, Club President Hans Marcus established a renewed vision when Sleepy Hollow came under his care more than 20 years ago. His contributions will be evident for many years to come.